I can help your ship build

It is illogical to go elsewhere for STO info.

Re: I can help your ship build

Postby Maurs » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:27 pm

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=scimaurs1_0

Here's my build, i'm returning to the game after a bit of a hiatus and have been picking up some episode rewards but not really much else. Any help with what to upgrade and where to get it from would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't really been able to do anything regarding reputation yet as i'm still working on figuring that out.
Maurs
Sciences Lieutenant
Sciences Lieutenant

Medals: 14
Commendation Award 1 (1) Academy Honor Graduate (1) Lotus Fleet Instructor Badge (1) Lotus Fleet Tour Ribbon (11)

Postby Battle Lion » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Maurs wrote:http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=scimaurs1_0

Here's my build, i'm returning to the game after a bit of a hiatus and have been picking up some episode rewards but not really much else. Any help with what to upgrade and where to get it from would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't really been able to do anything regarding reputation yet as i'm still working on figuring that out.

ok looks pretty good actually!

most people struggle with the skill tree but it looks like you have that pretty well figured out.

my only suggestions there is to axe the driver coil skill and starship manuevres skill entirely - and put it into weapons training, energy weapons training and projectile weapons.

most people are pretty dead set on using torpedoes, and thats fine. pure dps builds dont use torpedoes at all.

youre not getting much use that i can see out of your particle generators skill, id suggest putting those points into graviton generators to buff your gravity well.

subspace deompiler is a quesitonable skill, you could get more use out of those points in another area such as engine performance.

flow caps is useful for boosting drains, but if your primary weapon type isnt polaron or tetryon, it wont be as useful.

are you adverse to having a tactical LTCMDR? that would increase DPS quite a bit.

----boff powers----

i'll assume you want to keep the universal layout the same - 

couple of different layouts to pick from.

SCI CMDR: HE1, TSS2, tykens rift 1, grav well 3
SCI LTCMDR: HE1, ST2, tykens 1

eng lt: ET1, EPTW2

tac lt: TT1. FAW2

tac ens: TS1

---or---

eng lt: epts1. eptw2

tac lt: TT1, FAW2
tac ens: FAW1

sci ltcmdr: HE1, TSS2, tykens
sci cmdr: he1, tachybeam2. TBR1, GW3

the second one is a more agressive layout for more damage, and should be used with 3x blue quality or better damage control engineer doffs in whats called a drake build, which will basiclaly mimic you having 2 of each EPTx power.

----gear---

i would get the solane engines for free for the set 3 bonus. 

if youre going to stick with AP weapons, get the free rare mk xi beams from mission replay. load up as many as you can, keep the torpedo if you want. the omni AP beam is not really ideal for a broadside build, as you can get the same +10% by just getting a fleet core with AMP, and not losing dps with the omni vs a regular beam. fleet AMP cores arent that expensive and can be found at the fleet dil mine.

if youre going to keep a torp, just have one up front, no need for 2. 

your primary damage is coming from beams which fire 100% of the time, rather than a torpedo which fires not often at all; so swap out that torpedo console for another AP energy console,

your engineering EPS console doesnt really do anything of note, so you can get rid of that. if you have the borg console, add that in.

your countermeasure console is also not pulling its weight. you can get rid of that too.

since there is no console that boosts torpedoes, feel free to use whichever you want. i like the breen transphasic cluster, or the vadwaur cluster. those are fun. the gravimetric photon is also great if you have that from repuation.

your power levels should be mostly in weapons and aux, have a preset that is mostly sields and aux custom made to swap to incase you get in trouble.

what are your duty officers??
Captain Miles T. Prower - Starfleet Corps of Engineers
U.S.S. Redemption NCC-1787 
Battle Lion
Admiral
Admiral

Medals: 35
Lotus Fleet Legion of Honor (1) Lotus Fleet Benefactor (1) Lotus Fleet Heart of Sacrifice (1) Commendation Award 5 (1)
Commendation Award 4 (1) Command School Certified (1) Academy Honor Graduate (1) Course Contributor (1)
Newsletter (1) Lotus Fleet News Network (1) STO Lotus Fleet Thread Award (1) Hailing Frequency Commentator (1)
Outstanding Post (1) Audio Quiz Gold (1) Trivia Champion 5 Wins (1) The Lotus Cup (1)
STO Open Beta (1) Fed Fleet Builder X (1) KDF Fleet Builder III (1) Lotus Fleet Tour Ribbon (16)

Postby Selocin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Here is my vulcan engineer ship build:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=sarek2_0
Selocin

Postby Battle Lion » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Selocin wrote:Here is my vulcan engineer ship build:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=sarek2_0

ok, looks like you could use some help.

the equipment itself isnt actually a bad set up, you just gotta update it a bit. no torpedoes too! i like that. torpedoes actually reduce dps technically.

dual beam banks with turrets - not a bad idea, in fact it can do loads of damage if you have a proper cruiser for it, such as the excelsior or avenger. those cruisers have a high turn rate, so the narrow arc of the Dual beams isnt an issue, but on the regular old rear admiral assault cruiser its not ideal.

do you have any other ships? even if you bought the mirror assault cruiser off the exchange youd get some better stats.

assuming you want to stick with the sovvy i'll offer some suggestions.

since you need all new beam arrays, i'd recommend just going to anti proton.
you can get FREE antiproton beam arrays form the mission FLUID DYNAMICS and SPHERE OF INFLUENCE. the ones from sphere of influence are better because they are ACCx2.

you'll have to play that awful mission 9 times though. sphere of influence also rewards the ancient obelisk AP omni array, which will be good for you too, as well as the obelisk warp core. i will do the mission with you and give you my mission reward so you dont have to play it as much.

with a full set of mk 11 AP beams, and the obelisk core, your dps will skyrocket compared to what it is now, and you wont have to keep your front toward the enemy, just your side. so you will be able to shoot more often.

since you dont have a gear set, i'd recommend getting the SOLANAE set from the mission A STEP BETWEEN THE STARS. you can get shields, engines and a deflector from that so you have to do it 3 times. 

check out the set here
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Hybrid_Technologies

pretty cool for free!

here is the link to all the gear you can get for free as mission rewards
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Episode_replay

some good stuff there.

your engineering consoles could use some updates.
youre going to want to do the mission SECRET ORDERS to get a green neutronium alloy mk 11
a SIF GENERATOR from the exchange would be good too. might as well double down on those to boost your heals and resistance until you can get better consoles from reputation system.

do the mission TEAR OF THE PROPHETS to get 2 shield emitter amplifiers in mk11 rare.

for tactical consoles you have the right idea. only use energy weapons, and boost them energy consoles in the tac slots, as many as you can. in this case you can get a higher bonus by getting antiproton specific consoles, instead of +beam consoles.

AP tac consoles are not cheap however, so as you get space cash, you can buy them one at a time and upgrade them using the upgrade system.

mk xi uncommon AP consoles shouldnt be much and will do the job fine. upgrade them when you can.

bridge officer powers::

for tactical i'd recommend tac team1, fire at will 1 and fire at will 2. this is a free and effective setup that will maximize youre beam damage. 

for eng powers i'd recommend the drake setup but only if you have 3 rare damage control engineer duty officers. 

the dragon build might be better because its completely free, still very effective and is tried and true.

what you need is 2 copies of emergency power to shields 1, two copies of emergency power to weapons 3. every 15 seconds one of those powers will be available to you, giving you 100% uptime of BOTH powers, assuming you click the powers every 15s.

for your LT eng skills, i'd say eng team 2, directed energy modulation 1. 

your commander power shoudl also be directed energy modulation 3.

DEM is a great skill that bypasses some of your enemies shields with your weapons.
having 2 will let you have the most uptime possible for it.

your science powers will be fairly boring, hazard emitters 1 and transfer shield strength 2.

but since you are engineering, you might not need that much survivability because you have rotate shield frequency, so an alternate setup would be

hazard emitters 1, tractor beam OR polarize hull 1 (to break tractor beams) and hazard emitters 2.

your choice, but i think HE1/TracBeam will be the most fun and useful.

you could also have 3 science officers and swap them out based on how hard the  level is. i used to do that. if i was getting tractor beamed too much i would swap my science guy out for one that knew polarize hull.

your skill tree

honestly this is a really solid skill tree.  this is where most people get hung up but you nailed it.

only thing i would change woudl be to drop driver coil, its basically useless once you can start transwarping everywhere and you get quantum slipstream drive.

and i would put points in electro plasma systems. that skill boosts emergency power to X abilities, and also affects your poewr transfer rate, which is directely tied to how much you can overcap your weapons power.

power insulators is a decent skill too, but not necessary. it just mitigates some shield drain coming in, which i find annoying when fighting borg.
Battle Lion
Admiral
Admiral

Lotus Fleet Legion of Honor (1) Lotus Fleet Benefactor (1) Lotus Fleet Heart of Sacrifice (1) Commendation Award 5 (1)
Commendation Award 4 (1) Command School Certified (1) Academy Honor Graduate (1) Course Contributor (1)
Newsletter (1) Lotus Fleet News Network (1) STO Lotus Fleet Thread Award (1) Hailing Frequency Commentator (1)
Outstanding Post (1) Audio Quiz Gold (1) Trivia Champion 5 Wins (1) The Lotus Cup (1)
STO Open Beta (1) Fed Fleet Builder X (1) KDF Fleet Builder III (1) Lotus Fleet Tour Ribbon (16)

Postby Battle Lion » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 am

Friendly reminder that I am still at your disposal for ship advice
Battle Lion
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Maurs » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:31 pm

If this still happens to be active, I could use some help on where to go with my new Scryer. 

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?bui ... eeperspc_0

My Doff selections are listed under the description. I enjoy playing with my sci abilities such as GW3 and TR2. Mainly going for a beam boat at the moment but open for suggestions. My reputation so far is as follows:
Omega T2
Nukara T1
Romulus T1 (currently working on zero point)
Dyson T3
Counter-Command T1
Delta T3
Iconian T2
Terran 0

Notable equipment I have laying around is: 
Ancient Omni-Beam
Gravimetric Photon Torp XII
Quantum Phase Deflector XII
Sol Def Deflector XII
Obelisk Warp Core

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Maurs
Sciences Lieutenant
Sciences Lieutenant

Commendation Award 1 (1) Academy Honor Graduate (1) Lotus Fleet Instructor Badge (1) Lotus Fleet Tour Ribbon (11)

Postby Battle Lion » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:50 pm

wow ok, this looks really good already! like really good. why dont we ever do STFs together??
what are you trying to do better with this? tank? dps? something else?

first thing i notice is probably just a mistake, you have tykens rift slotted when you mentioned you like to use tractor repulsors... if on the 1% chance thats not a mistake id recommend dropping tykens and slotting repulsors. 

your weapons look good, you dont need to worry about having the best mods because its really only for top DPSers. you have good mods on your weapons anyway, but if you ever do want to upgrade, [PEN] is currently the best mod to have, and CRTD is #2. DMG is #3 if i remember correctly.

one thing i would do though is drop the AP omni and slot another regular AP array, omnis are good for forward facing builds but you are a broadsider, and are losing a little DPS i think.

what flavor of energy weapons officer are you using? recharge beam special attacks?what are your conn officers flavor? reduce tac team cool down? if that is the case then you dont need him, you already have 2 copies of TT and that is as much uptime as you can get.

youve got DCEs which is good because youre doing a drake build (my favorite!) but you might want to get a third one if you can swing it. most people use 2 purples or 3 blues to get the procs right.

your deflector officer im sure reduces cooldown of deflector abilities right? for more grav well uptime? or maybe spawns aftershock grav wells? both are good ideas, but the reduce cooldown might yield better results.

im sure you are aware that there is a doff that turns the push from tractor repulsors into a pull? graga mal is his name. he is pricey though.

unless you like being able to cancel things with sci team, i'd switch to transfer shield strength. its not only a heal but a resistance, and it scales with aux power which im sure on youre build is quite high. seeing as its your only shield heal it might make a difference.

what is your resting crit chance and severity while in space? you have to be in system space to find those values, not sector space fyi.

the reason i ask is because you have a vulnerability exploiter, which most people dont go for unless their crit chance is in the 40s i think.
since they are expensive i'd just keep your exploiter for now until you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for DPS ideas.

how space rich are you? getting a vulnerability locator as your second tac console would be a good boost too.

you might get more use out of Override subsystem safties than intelligence team. it will knock a random subsystem offline at the end but you could be getting 165 in a subsystem. i see lots of high dps builds use OSS, SS, and KLW. also, hitting OSS right before a grav well or TBR will really give some extra punch.

how space rich are you?

a definite way to boost your DPS by a ton would be to get the embassy plasma explosion consoles. fill up as many as you can. obviously get the part gens ones, and maybe get the minus threat ones because you dont look like a tank. these are almost as good as adding another tac console!

i would say your plasma manifold and sensor probe swarm are holding you back on this build, i'd trade one for an embassy science console listed above, and the other could be the bioneural circuits if you got tons of lobi to spare, plasmonic leach if you have tons of EC to space, or the zero point if you have little of either. there is a craftable RCS console that boosts part gens too, look into that. Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XII prtg

side note, the mk 11 locators and embassy consoles are all you need. its cheaper to upgrade them than to spend all that extra dilithium and fleet credits.

your warp core is really good, but again if you get bored and need an update, see about the elite fleet hypercharged with [A->W] [ACap] [AMP] [Eff] [Trans].
weapons work best when at 125, and there is a soft overcap. the more you can keep your weapon power up, the better. EFF will also be more useful than coil, and trans cool down reduction is nice too.

OR

you can go for a spire warp core with the same mods. spire cores dont add power or increase caps, but they add resistance to your power levels and have increased regeneration. this is mostly beneficial for weapons, but also helps against any power drains you encounter and i believe help regen from full impulsing around.
basically what you will notice is that your power levels will bounce back faster, and wont drain as much. doesnt sound as good as the fleet core, but anything you can do to keep your weapon power up is the way to go. 

your secondary deflector is good, i like it, but your gear set needs a pass over. 

most people are going with the Iconian 4pc these days to boost damage. the nukara shields and engines with counter command deflector is what i use though a bit out dated but still works great. 

see the specs here
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Nukara_Strikef ... chnologies

the shield is great because its a resilient shield so less bleedthrough will be coming your way, and it can also redirect some damage back.
the engines will boost your shield power which is nice, but the set 2 is what is really good. Weapon Stabilizers: Automatically removes weapon disabled conditions after 3 seconds. +2.5% Weapon Damage

this is great not only do you get a damage boost but your weapons are often shut down by enemies so its nice to have that.

the counter command deflector is also nice for you because 
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Counter-Comman ... ctor_Array

it increases damage, tankiness and PartGens. your favorite!

your skill tree is really good too! but i notice you arent using attack patterns for anything, probably have it on there from an old ship that used to use attack patterns right?

driver coil is also not the best thing. if you wanna go fast in sector space, use the borg or maco engines. i know it helps regen power from full impulse too, but that is again situational at best.

what personal traits do you have access to? warp theorist is a good one. so is particle manipulator, point blank shot, and operative. keep doing your R&D research dailies for 6000xp so you can get more traits! i recommend doing beams and science, they have the traits you would care about most.

here is what i recommend for rep powers once you get them.  your armor pen and targeting systms traits are good, but nukara- aux power configuration Offense andRomulan - precision are something to work towards. Dyson- tactical advantage is also good too. nice debuff for everyone to enjoy.

try this out too if you can - get 2 conn officers that reduce tac team. preferably blue or purple. go to one tac team 1. get attack pattern beta 1 and beam fire at will 1.

what are your power levels set at?
Battle Lion
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Maurs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. With this ship I primarily enjoy playing a cc/dps play-style.

Regarding Tykens Rift, you were correct. I am currently using tractor repulsors.

For my weapons, I put in an additional beam array and removed the Omni-beam. Another possibility I was considering would be full phaser beams with the Quantum Phase Set including the beam array, torpedo, and console. Seems quite nice, especially since the 3pc is affected by my particle generators.

As far as my DOFFs are concerned, I've changed them up a bit including 2 purple DCEs for the drake build and the procs are working great. I can't remember what the other changes were off the top of my head but I'll update the post when I get home. I do know that graga mal is a bit out of my price range though lol.

SciTeam is gone and replaced with TSS, I do like this better. I removed one of my TT's and replaced it with another FAW to try.

Crit Chance is at 6% and Severity is 103% This was done right outside of the earth space dock in system space. Honestly the exploiter was an accident, I meant to purchase the locator. With a phaser build, I already have access to the vulnerability locator of the phaser variety and a +phaser console (to be updated once I get enough fleet creds and dilith) I would also put the quantum phase console in the third tact console spot I have (just upgraded to a fleet scryer).

Regarding my other consoles: I removed the plasma manifold and probe swarm consoles and put in the zero-point and bioneural ones you suggested. One day i'll likely move towards the fleet sci consoles you recommended as I'm not all that space rich. Plasmonic Leech would be nice but that's looking like 75mil right now which is a bit high for me.

Another Bridge Officer update is My intel officer is using IS2 and OSS2 instead for now, considering changing that up though. As you mentioned, I really enjoy the OSS prior to grav well lol.

Regarding my gear set, I've changed it up a little, going with the Kobali Deflector and Shield plus the Quantum Phase Engines until I can get my reputations up. The quantum engine gives me a boost to pgen, flow caps, and electro-plasma systems when at full impule and 15 seconds after. Kobali stats looked good, still debating trying out the full quantum 3 pc though since it's free.

My skill tree has been updated because (as you guessed) some selections were left over from an old build. Driver coil and attack patterns are gone and I've updated some others but can't remember where I put it.

I updated my traits as best I could with what you suggested to include warp theorist, point blank, and operative.

I removed one of my delta space traits and replaced it with a romulan trait to increase exotic dmg.

Finally, regarding not doing STF's together, I'm basically just now getting back to the game and ready to get into them outside of pugs!
Maurs
Sciences Lieutenant
Sciences Lieutenant

Postby Battle Lion » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm

excellent!

i hope you are seeing more out of your build now that you wanted to see? if i can help anymore please let me know.

i did have another thought today,

your boffs themselves. any tactical officer should (eventually) be replaced with superior romulan operatives (rare quality, male only) from the fleet embassy.

these will boost your BASE crit chance and severity and they stack. i think its 2% crth and 5% crtd EACH. nothing to scoff at. 

also, i assume your science intel officer is the hierarchy boff mission reward? he is efficient which means your power levels will go up slightly if you have them set to low, but he is also a PIRATE, which is a stacking +2% to ALL damage.

when you hit max diplomacy, you can also get a nausicaan engineering boff that has pirate. i have 2 SROs and 2 pirates on my ship and they will never leave.

what do you typically keep your power levels at and what boffs do you currently have slotted? you mentioned 2 VR DCEs...
Battle Lion
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jureth » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:11 am

Okay, BL here's a new one: T6 Hestia Escort. They had one console not on the build planner that I have which is the Ferrofluid Hydraulic Assembly at MK XIV

I'm not partial to really any of the gear, I was just trying it out don't worry if you want to suggest a change in weapons or gear set etc...

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=hestiat6_0

Also, I noticed in Counterpoint (advanced) I keep getting toasted by tractor beam repulsors used by the Terran Empire Command Cruisers. any suggestions on countering that?
"With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."
Jureth
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Medals: 20
Lotus Fleet Benefactor (1) Command School Certified (1) Academy Graduate (1) Newsletter (1)
Fed Fleet Builder X (1) Lotus Fleet Tour Ribbon (10) RP Veteran (1) RP Specialist (1)
Azimuth Horizon Crusade (1) The Forgotten (1) Brave New World (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online